Saturday, September 27, 2014

How it all began!

Its March, 2014 and me and a few coworkers are getting ready to compete in a local charity mud run. I wasn't in the best shape of my life but I felt confident that I would survive this. We really didn't do any sort of training before the big day so this was a really good measure of where I was starting from fitness wise.

The day came and we were filled with excitement and nerves as we waited at the start line. The official started the countdown....5......4.....3......2.....1....Go! We  were off and now the nerves were replaced with adrenaline.

Long story short, it wasn't that bad. I was definitely wiped out but not as badly as I was expecting and that got me thinking about my health and where I wanted to be.  I thought if I live a healthy active lifestyle, then my wife and daughter will also be more inclined to do the same. So the very next day, while all my coworkers were complaining about how sore they were, I went to the gym and ran on the treadmill.

Day 1: Ran about 1/4 mile on the treadmill and thought I was going to die! Now I remember why I have always said I am not a runner. This sucked but still I went back on day 2.

Day 2:  Much to my surprise I ran a little over a mile before I died and I actually enjoyed it a little more! I had such a great sense of accomplishment everytime I pushed a little further.

Day 3:  Ran 3.4 miles! That the first 5k distance that I had run in over 3 years and I really really enjoyed this run.  I think I am hooked.

So that's how it got started and how I've progressed from there.  Every day I push a little harder or go a little further.  Every day I set new goals and come up with a plan to help me achieve them which leads to my newest goal......Completing a long distance triathlon in 1 years time.  Follow along with me and see how I am going to go from running roughly 10 miles a week on average to competing in a multisport race that will cover 70.3 miles in 8 hours. Its going to be a hard journey but should prove to be an interesting one!




1 comment:

  1. I'm very proud to have met you. You are truly an inspiration to all who are privileged enough to spend time with you. You have a great sense of humor and I think that helps. Thank you for setting up this page/blog so we can travel on this journey with you.

    ReplyDelete